"Team Green! is dedicated to creating an earth-friendly environment at the Roanoke Civic Center for its employees, community, clients, partners, and guests. We are committed to increasing green effort opportunities, reducing expenses, and advocating the importance of reduce, reduce, and recycle."
How are we staying Green?
All staff turn off lights and computers each day when they leave
All lights and power are turned off in any facility that is not in use
Enforcement of staff to adjust room temperature based on usage
Partnering with New Energy Technologies for the study of kinetic energy with vehicles in the parking lots during an RCC event
PME Compost – company we contract for all composting
Installed double roll dispensers in bathrooms
Added additional recycling bins with signage around the concourse
Encourage customers to utilize the Print-at-Home ticket option
Cleaning chemicals have been switched over to Earth friendly products
We have installed a new chiller for AC in the building expected to cut down dramtically on the energy used to cool and heat the venue
How can you stay green?
Here are some tips!
- Wash clothes in warm or cold water and you will use 80-85% less energy compared to using hot water. Only use hot water if you are washing out oily dirt or stains.
- Only wash full loads of laundry
- Buy phosphate free detergent. Phosphates are a cause of oxygen depletion in water leading to the loss of aquatic life.
- Switch to earth friendly brand of laundry soap.
- Use a drying rack for delicate or lightweight items.
- Line dry clothes, sheets and towels outside as much as possible.
- Keep your refrigerator set at 37 degrees and full to conserve energy.
- Keep your freezer set at 3 degrees to conserve energy.
- Clean refrigerator gaskets regularly and vacuum the condenser coils twice a year. Your refrigerator will operate more efficiently and use less electricity.
- Use your microwave for cooking and reheating. This will reduce up to 70% of energy use.
- Use a toaster oven for small jobs. It will use a 1/3 to ½ as much energy as a full size oven.
- Arrange furniture to take advantage of natural light from windows.
- Install dimmer switches where dimmed lighting makes sense (Ex. Dining Rooms, and hallways) Dimming a light by 25% saves an equal amount of energy.
We are Virginia Green Certified: