Our Mission: Rights of Way – Done Right!
As the Transportation Division has overall responsibility for the City’s rights-of-way, our commitment is to safely execute tasks, to work and act in a professional manner, to complete tasks with exceptional quality thereby setting the standard for others to follow, and to perform tasks efficiently so that public funds are expended appropriately.
Our Vision: Great Streets in our Sight!
We focus our actions and activities upon improving the appearance, rideability, and safety of the City's streets and rights-of-way thereby enhancing the City’s image, mobility, and property values which are all important factors in attracting and retaining citizens. We endeavor to implement Roanoke's comprehensive plan by providing a safe and attractive environment for all right-of-way users. We believe that well maintained streets having appropriate pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, smooth surfaces, good drainage, as well as appropriate traffic signs and markings play a vital part in improving the City’s economic base.
The Primary functions of the Division include:
- Maintenance of the Transportation Infrastructure
- Oversight and Maintenance of Roadway Lighting
- Traffic Safety and Congestion Program
- Transportation Planning and Project Coordination
- Landscape Maintenance in the Transportation Corridor
- Issuance of Assembly Permits & Operational Support
- Holiday and Special Event Decorations
- Citizen Request for Service